Saturday 2 February 2013

Back to Counterfeiting - Awesome!

I haven't taken part in the Counterfeit Kit Challenge since last summer. I just fell off the wagon a bit. But I really like the navy/khaki combination in this month's kit from Scraptastic  . It's called Chasing Pavements, a phrase I've never understood, although it definitely made me hum the song by Adele. Can anyone explain what it means?
Anyway, whatever it's called, it is pefect for boy photos, something I struggle with now my son has outgrown the cute baby blue stage. 
January 2013 Chasing Pavements Kit
Most of my kit is made up of my newly acquired Simple Stories Awesome papers, which only arrived today. It's a fab boy range and includes lots of arrows and stars  and motifs which fit well with this kit. I added some cardstock, but I don't really need to pull this out until I use it.
 I very nearly ordered some of those Jillibean Soup Hexies as well, but I culled them at the last minute, thinking it was something I could recreate. So this was my chance to have a go. I printed the hexagons from Word then use corrugated card to stamp journalling lines. I like the grungy effect that produced. The film strip washi tape is also from my stash and is by Queen & Co. Buttons and twine etc, i'll get out as I need it.

 
I got straight to work with it and made this:
My son is in his last year of primary school so I wanted to record all the details of how he is now, knowing that nothing will ever be the same again once he goes up to secondary.
 
I wrote on both sides of the 3 tags about his likes and dislikes, his hobbies and his character.
 
It's unusual for me to create an entire layout from one range because I don't have a lot of money for stash and I can't afford the full collections so it's been ages since I bought such a large collection from the same range but I'm really loving Simple Stories at the moment.   I only bought 3 12in sheets from the Awesome range though. Instead I went for the sticker sheet and the alphas and bought a 6x6 pad of papers. I think this is a much more economical way of doing it and I found it really easy to work with; the only additions here were my homemade hexie, the tags and a random green chipboard arrow that I think I've had lying around for about 4 years.
                                                      

10 comments:

glorygirl said...

What a fabulous kit!!! I Looooove the layout you made. The tags behind the photo are wonderful! And I can't get over the Rubik's cube sticker in your kit - CLASSIC!!! Looking forward to seeing how you use that!

Lisa J said...

Gorgeous kit and I love your first page with it. Great use of the tags and chipboard arrow. Feels good to use old stash and still have it look modern. Enjoy using your kit this month.

sassyscrapper said...

Great kit that doesn't look too little boy. Love that little rubix cube sticker. You are off to a great start with your first layout. The arrow is a perfect addition.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great counterfeit kit!
Rinda

mandysea said...

Thats a fabulous masculine kit! I think you've matched it really well... gorgeous LO too!

Jimjams said...

So glad that you've made it back to us Kirsty - great page too! Love your hexagons - that washi tape addition makes them such fun!

petrii said...

Fabulous kit and gorgeous page!!!
Have a Blessed day ~~ dawn

Jennifer Grace said...

Your grungy hexies look awesome, and I love that big arrow on your layout! x

Unknown said...

I love your homemade Hexagons! They are very cool.

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This layout is absolutely beautiful! So striking and I love how you used the arrows. And the expression on your son's face is so precious! Really inspiring work!