Thursday 6 June 2013

Last poem by Fred


The Voice of THE DEPARTMENT
In my dream...
I hear the woman's voice, harsh, distinctive
Well, you certainly are in trouble now.

But, it wasn't my fault, they made me do it...

That's no excuse!
The Department of Universal Greyness
Have had their eye on you
For some time now...
YOU-HAVE-BEEN-MAKING-PEOPLE-LAUGH
DELIBERATELY
Go on, deny it...

How can I deny it/ You know I do it...

IT-HAS-GOT-TO-STOP-IMMEDIATELY...

And if I don't?

Then the Department of Universal Greyness
Will remove laughter from your heart...
Never again will you run barefooted
      Listen to music
      Play the guitar
      Read a book
      Smile at a pretty girl
      Smell a Spring flower
      Feed a sparrow
      Sing a love song...
NEVER-NEVER-NEVER-NEVER-NEVER...

The alarm clock goes off...

Oh, you poor darling, were you dreaming...

The woman at my side thinks I have gone strange
    But when I start to laugh
        She begins to giggle...

Again, the punctuation and the spacing are Fred's. We used to critique each other's creative writing at college, but I wouldn't presume to do that now.

No comments: