Monday, 10 December 2012

JYC Day 9 - Christmas treats


Baileys, lebkuchen, Bubble & Squeak. I have listed all these things in more than one previous Christmas Journal as special Christmas treats but the truth is that I could have them all year round if I wanted to. There is nothing these days that the shops stock only in December. So why don't I?

Because actually, traditional and festive though they are, I don't really like them all that much. I'm not a liquor drinker and one glass of sweet, creamy Baileys is enough to make me feel Christmassy, I  don't need or want the second glass.

What really is an annual treat though is carols; hearing them, singing them, humming them throughout Advent. I never had a soloist's voice, and I certainly don't now but I still have a wide repertoire of Christmas carols to which I know every word and it is something I love to do when the season comes round. Yesterday's Children's Carol Service, in which R and M took part int he Nativity play, was also special because of the chance to sing 'In The bleak Midwinter' and 'Silent Night'.
I don't have a favourite carol, although I love 'Mary's Boy Child' and 'We Three Kings', I just love the power these tunes hold to move me.

No comments: