Sunday 9 December 2012

JYC Day 8 - the tree

I bought this so-dark-green-it's-almost-black artificial tree 10 years ago, when I had a small, disabled baby and zero appetite for hoovering up pine needles everyday. Looking back at my last 5 Christmas journals today, I can see that I did buy a real one in 2009, but that was the last time. I had planned to go to the Scouts' tree sale this morning, but R and M were outraged. They wanted to get out the old artificial one, and R even used my favourite persuasion; 'It's traditional'. I suppose, in their memories, it is traditional, so  this afternoon we got out the battered box again.
Last year, while decorating the tree, our equally old white lights broke and I phoned P with instructions to buy more. When we returned with cloured lights, I'm ashamed to admit I threw a bit of a tantrum so I made sure I bought my own white ones in plenty of time last week. We used the coloured ones to decorate the window. This is the first time I have put up more than a tree in the lounge, although there is tinsel in the hallway and in the kids' rooms. My mum only ever had a tree too, so it's 'traditional!'




2 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah but it's never the wrong time to establish a new tradition - the lights look really pretty around the window!
I love that the children were set on the old tree, shows how young they start to grasp tradition!

Sian said...

"It's never the wrong time to start a new tradition" - I love that. The lights round the window look very Christmassy indeed.