Thursday 13 June 2013

A double page layout for a change

I don't make many genuine double page spreads (by which I mean the layout reads across the full 12x24, rather than 2 co-ordinating 12x12s) but it's fun to ring the changes occasionally. This is about R's transition from Cubs to Scouts. I wanted to record how much he enjoys it and highlight the adventures he has.
 

The left hand side shows R receiving his Silver Arrow. He worked really hard over the Easter holiday to complete this before he left Cubs. The right hand side is his investiture into Scouts, which took place at the local campsite. He particularly loves it there. It is the only place he is allowed to light fires, make shelters and generally explore the outdoor life. The close up photo is terribly blurred, but it's the only one I have, so I used it anyway.

I used 2 sheets of Core'dinations cardstock for the background. I didn't have 2 identical ones but it doesn't bother me that the embossed pattern are different. I decided not to ink/sand them so as not to draw attention to it. The stripy paper is by Imaginisce and all the stickers and cards are from the Simple Stories Awesome collection. The alphas are BasicGrey.
The brads and vellum arrows were part of my package of Very Small Things from Gail and I knew as soon as I saw them that they would be perfect for the layout I had in mind. I inked them brown and used a woodgrain stamp as I wanted them to look like the stick arrows used in tracking games. My package also included a length of string which I used to create a cope of small knots, knotting being another traditional Scouting / Guiding activity.

I really like how this tells the whole story. I should do more double layouts.

4 comments:

Sian said...

Gotta love tying a few knots! the double page format really emphasizes the big fun to be had at Scouts. It tells the story too

Anonymous said...

love this one, great details and layout, knot badge one of my faves in guides! I like the colour blends too..
Rachel

alexa said...

Lovely to see some of your swap things in here ... The two page format really des lend itself to a developing story, doesn't it, and yours in perfect. I am sure the blurry photos won't matter a bit in years to come - just having one is the important thing. Lovely to hear of a young man really enjoying the outdoors.

Anonymous said...

Both pages look great Kirsty. It was so neat seeing some of the swap things on there. :) I'm all for using blurry pictures if that's all you have, like Alexa said "just having one is the important thing".