Sunday 10 March 2013

Review -my new favourite author.

                                           World Without End-Ken Follet Cover World Wide Edition 2007.jpg
It's been a while since I discovered a new author, but I've just finished 'World Without End' by Ken Follett and I think I've found a new favourite.
This is a long book but I was so totally engrossed in its Mediaeval world that I felt really sad to come to the end. Set in Kingsbridge in the 14th Century the 4 protagonists are a rebellious nun, a talented builder, a poor countrygirl and a wicked knight. They battle the Plague, the established church and each other through 40 years of national turmoil. This book has everything; believeable characters, bloodthirsty historical detail and the eventual triumph of good over evil. I believe this is a sequel to an earlier Kingsbridge novel so my next stop when I've clicked publish is Amazon to download the first. 'World Without End' was published in 2007 and 'The Pillars of the Earth' in 1989, so I may well be preaching to the converted but if, like me, you haven't read a Ken Follett novel before then you're in for a treat.

3 comments:

humel said...

I've heard of these but never read them, but you've intrigued me so I shall look out for them - thank you! :)

Cate Brickell said...

I haven't read ken folletts books, but saw the mini series of pillars of the earth and it was phenomenal! The huge size of the books has put me off for the longest time, but I'm tempted.

Amy said...

I was going to suggest you watch The Pillars of the Earth mini series as well - it recently aired down here but was a BBC, I think, production. It was excellent and I think you'd enjoy it.