Sunday 1 July 2012

Storytelling Sunday - the Second

I do enjoy Sian's Storytelling Sundays. I had only just started working my way through them when I read Susanne's story about her Dad's head for numbers.
That got me reminiscing again so here is another little memory:

Maths was never a strength of mine, but my dad, like Suzanne's, was great with figures. He worked in the Finance Department of the Country Council from the age of 16 until his retirement.

At the time of the story he was very recently retired and had agreed to audit the accounts for the Girl Guide Unit I ran. As we were going through the books, I borrowed my Dad's rubber (eraser) It was a hard shiny little thing which just smudged the page but he was very offended when I said so.

"I've had that rubber since I started work", he said.


He couldn't have made many mistakes in 45 years!

12 comments:

furrypig said...

wow that rubber survived a long time, my kids seems to write on theirs or possibly eat them as there are often pieces missing they would never last a school year let alone 45!

Abi said...

ha ha! This made me smile because I took read the other story about a dad good with numbers. That rubber has survived well- either that or he just crossed things out!

Becky said...

That must be the oldest rubber around! We are always losing them in this house - they don't get a chance to wear out!

Melissa said...

That's hilarious Kirsty!

Lou said...

lol a lovely memory x

Missus Wookie said...

I have a stack of rubbers/erasers and pencils that my Grandpa collected - sadly the erasers are all like your Dad's... not much good for rubbing out mistakes (or crafting with!)

Alana said...

Ha ha, why are men like that? My hubby still has all his drawing and design rulers and equipment. the teen now borrows them. I'm not allowed as I tend to not wash out the brushes after.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with his lack of eraser usage!

Irene said...

What a fun memory story of your Dad and how careful he has been not to erase the eraser. I buy the pencils that have rubber tipped ends as my maths... well, you don't want to know!

Anonymous said...

Wow that has to be the oldest one around. :)

Unknown said...

That's one very old eraser!!

Sian said...

I love this! It has given me a smile as I take a break from the unpacking, and it's very welcome. Thank you. Girl Guides and Accountants - two of my favourite things :)