Friday 9 March 2012

Scrapbooking Starting Points - double Book Day layout

always admire Shimelle's 'Starting Points' and I often save them and use them for inspiration, but rarely close enough to their publication to link in. This time I managed it, and a double layout to boot.

You'll remember that last week both my children had to dress up for World Book Week. Our original plan was for M to be Hermione Grainger, but I couldn't find R's Harry Potter wand so she went as Dora the Explorer. Well, as so often happens, I found the wand the day after, but M was perfectly happy as Dora. A number of you suggested that I use the HP embellishments I'd been saving on a 'Why She Couldn't be Hermione' LO.  This is a great idea, but in the end I decided to keep them for a later page about our family love of the HP books because I wanted to make this double page spread reasonably symmetrical.
scrapbook starting points
This was the Starting Point; 4 quadrants of patterned paper and 3 ribbons. I used green tones for my son's page and pink scraps for my daughter's, both on a white background.

 I inked the edges of the 4 squares and used green Glimmer Mist and Worn Lipstick Distress Ink to give a border using a shaped template. I positioned the photos symmetrically and used the same alphabet stickers from Kraft Kuts, which I had in two colourways.

The journalling was printed with an image of the character, and I did include the story of Not Being Hermione here.

 I didn't want both pages to be identical as my children' have very different characters, so on M's Dora page I used a fairy print paper which I embellished with a tulle skirt and tiara.

My son's chosen character is a 9-year old Secret Agent, but I struggled to find suitable embellishments. I started with some rub-on stars, but there were the most obsinate rub-ons I've ever use and they looked awful so I took them off. If anyone knows a good source / idea for boy embellishments, please let me know. The smiley face brads and buttons are OK, but don't really suit the theme, and I've still used some flowers!

I'm happy to have scrapped these photos, as I like all 4 pictures, and a double layout makes a change in my albums.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

These look great Kirsty. That Starting Point was perfect!