Saturday 25 June 2011

Oh Comely - recommendation

I had an expensive day yesterday, and then I discovered something new which made me happy. I went into town straight after my class ended to collect and pay for my new glasses. This was a necessity as I've been wearing prescription sunglasses since I broke my glasses, and the weather really hasn't been that sunny. I felt a bit of a prat! I then had to tax my car - £90 for the right to sit in a traffic jam for the next 6 months! I also needed (OK wanted) to get some photos printed so by lunchtime I was 320 quid down and a week until payday.

So, you know how it is, I needed cheering up and as the Post Office where I bought my car tax is in our branch of WH Smith's, I decided there was nothing for it but to treat myself to a magazine.

Smith's have a good selection but, it being nearly the end of the month, I have read the current issue of all my favourite craft mags. I browsed the Women's glossies, but really they do not speak to me anymore -  the fashion, the top-of-the-range beauty treatments and the child-free holidays they advertise are not aimed at a 40+ working mum. I hate celebrity gossip and knitting patterns and I was just thinking how there was a gap in the market for something which different when I spotted this:

This is Issue 6 of 'Oh Comely', so maybe you have all already discovered it, but if you haven't I urge you to give it a try. It doesn't look like any other magazine and it isn't. It's arty, quirky and intelligent. the interviews with (in this issue) a busker-turned-pro, a septugenarian artist and a bike courier are each accompanied by a self portrait of the interviewee. The articles ranged from testing out good luck charms to making shoes and a pinhole camera. They are well-written and fun. It was like reading all my favourite blogs in one magazine. (The Oh Comely blog is here,by the way) There is a little too much hip music for me, but that's personal. What I loved about it was the refreshing lack of costly 'Must Haves' of the season. The emphasis is far more on making the most of the simple pleasures life has to offer. The photographs are beautiful and the whole layout is pleasing on the eye, and soothing to the brain. I will definitely be buying Issue 7 when it comes out in July. (It is published every 2 months)

Give it a try, there is  much more reading than most magazines I buy and, at £4, that makes it good value anyway.

1 comment:

Sian said...

I buy this one when I see it too. I like its quirkiness